**Please note** Internships for Winter and Summer 2015 have been filled. Internship applications will be accepted only for Fall 2015 or Spring 2015.
The Gettysburg Seminary Ridge Museum offers internships for college students interested in completing a structured opportunity to explore the museum field while earning academic credit. Internships provide students the chance to relate theory to practice in a professional museum environment.
College students gain exposure to overall museum operations while concentrating on an individual project within a specific museum area. Projects are tailored to each student’s academic background/credit requirements and areas of interest. Interns assist museum staff with the development and implementation of projects in any of the following areas:
Assist with the museum’s educational and public programming efforts. Projects may include research & development of thematic gallery and walking tours, daily hands-on family activities, educational curriculum for educators and theatrical presentations for all ages.
Marketing & Public Relations
Assist with the museum’s marketing and public relations efforts. Projects may include research and development of press kit materials, website management, newsletter production, social media and group tour marketing efforts.
Assist with special events related to the museum’s grand opening and first year of operation. Projects may include project management timelines, traffic flow planning, ordering logistics, staffing needs and planning meetings.
Research, Collections & Exhibit Planning
Assist with special projects which may include exhibit planning and collections management tasks.
Retail & Merchandising
Assist with product research of the museum’s gift shop including merchandising techniques to utilize the space and increase revenue. Projects may include product research and development, traffic flow planning and product placement.
Internship Program Details:
- All internships are unpaid and must be pre-arranged. A limited number of opportunities exist each semester so it is advised to start the process as early as possible.
- Undergraduate, graduate and doctoral interns are all eligible for the internship program.
- Most internships are conducted at the Gettysburg Seminary Ridge Museum and its offices. Travel to and from the museum or any housing accommodations are the responsibility of the student.
- Students are responsible for paperwork, approvals and deadlines required by their academic institution to receive credit.
- It is the responsibility of the student to work with museum staff to develop a schedule which will allow them to complete the internship hours required by their school. (Please note there is limited availability for hours on weekends depending upon the museum department and internship project.)
Return a completed Internship Application to:
Gettysburg Seminary Ridge Museum
61 Seminary Ridge Rd., Ste. 417
Gettysburg, PA 17325
- To ensure the safety of the museum’s visitors, staff and volunteers, the museum reserves the right to request a background check (at the museum’s expense) prior to applicants being accepted into the internship program.
- Every effort will be made to find a suitable match for every applicant, but the Gettysburg Seminary Ridge Museum reserves the right to decline an application based upon the museum’s current needs and resources.